“What Does it Cost to Get Food at Grantsburg Area Food Shelf?”
It is free. There is never a charge for food. Food is distributed 9:30 to 11:30 am every Thursday, or by appointment in a food emergency.
“What Area Does the Grantsburg Food Shelf Serve?”
Grantsburg Area Food Shelf Inc. serves people who live within the boundaries of the Grantsburg School District (Siren and Webster also have food shelves to serve their residents). However, no one who needs food in an emergency is turned away, regardless of your address.
“Who is Eligible to Receive Food? How do I Apply?”
The food shelf follows federal poverty guidelines, based on income and family size. To apply, bring one form of ID that shows your home address. Apply in person between 9:30 to 10:30 am on Thursdays at the food shelf.
“Can I Choose the Food I Want?”
Yes. Each food client shops privately, one person at a time, and selects the food they want for themselves and/or their family.”
“Where Does the Food Come From?”
Food comes from the following sources:
- Purchases from St. Croix Valley Food Bank of Hudson, WI, delivered by truck to the Grantsburg Area Food Shelf twice monthly.
- Food donations come from individuals and churches. The Food Shelf also gets food from food drives conducted by local schools, businesses, and civic groups.
- All food is checked on arrival to be sure it is not expired. The Food Shelf cannot distribute any food that is beyond the expiration date. Please check the dates.
- The Food Shelf gets some food donations from The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP). It is a USDA program that helps supplement the diets of low-income Americans, including the elderly. Donations include meat and other proteins; dairy including cheese; produce and other foods.
- The food shelf accepts seasonal produce donations from area gardeners.
- The food shelf makes food purchases and receives donations from the KJ’s Fresh Market (formerly Grantsburg Family Foods).
- Donations also come from Minit Mart of Grantsburg.
- Donations also come from Burnett Dairy Co-op Cheese Store.
- Some hunters and farmers respectively donate processed and packaged venison and beef.
Many thanks to all food donors!
“Where Does the Money Come From to Buy Food?”
The funds come from donations from the sponsoring churches, from individuals, from area businesses and their employees, and from local and national grants and foundations to which the food shelf applies for assistance. Many thanks to all who donate money!
“Does the Government Provide Funding?”
No. The food shelf receives no financial aid from any government except occasional, unsolicited donations from some Burnett County municipal governments like town and village boards. All food shelf donations are tax-deductible. Since 2010, Grantsburg Area Food Shelf. Inc. has been registered with the IRS as a 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation.
“Who Runs the Food Shelf?”
Grantsburg Area Food Shelf is managed by a board of volunteer directors. Each of the nine participating churches provides one voting member and one alternate member to serve a three-year term on the board. The board elects officers and makes operational decisions. It appoints the food shelf manager, who reports to the board at the quarterly meetings.
“Who Works at the Food Shelf?”
The food shelf workers and food shelf manager are all volunteers. Most workers are provided each month from one of the participating churches.
“I have a food donation to drop off. When and where may I do so?”
The food shelf is open Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Tuesday is food drop-off day and Thursday is food distribution day.
“How Do I Contact the Grantsburg Area Food Shelf?”
You may visit the Food Shelf in person between 9:30 to 11:30 am on Tuesdays Thursdays at 320 S Brad St in Grantsburg.
The food shelf does not have a telephone. You may contact the food shelf via its website “GrantsburgFoodShelf.com” At the website, go to “Contact” at the top of the page and fill out the form. The website and email are checked daily. Someone will respond within 48 hours. In a food emergency, you may contact Food Shelf Manager Dave Doskey between 8 am and 6 pm at his cell phone. The number is 715-222-4370.